10 Monday Jan 2022
Matrix Legal Support Service News Articles
Hearings in the Supreme Court are now shown live on the Court’s website.
On Wednesday 12th January, the Supreme Court will hand down judgment in FirstPort Property Services Ltd v Settlers Court RTM Company and others. The Court was asked to consider whether, where a company incorporated by leaseholders in a block of flats acquires the right to manage the block under the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002, and the leaseholders also enjoy rights over the estate in which the block is situated, does the company only acquire the right to manage the block itself, or does it also acquire the right to manage the rest of the estate? The judgment being appealed is  UKUT 243. This judgment will have the citation  UKSC 1.
Also on Wednesday morning, the Court will hear the case of Croydon London Borough Council v Kalonga. The Court will consider whether a landlord can terminate a flexible tenancy agreement prior to the expiry of the fixed term if the tenancy agreement does not expressly provide for re-entry or forfeiture. The judgment appealed is  EWCA Civ 77, and the case will be heard at 10:30 in Courtroom 1.
A full list of the cases scheduled for the Michaelmas Term can be found here.
The following Supreme Court judgments remain outstanding: (As of 10/01/2022)
- The Law Debenture Trust Corporation plc v Ukraine (Represented by the Minister of Finance of Ukraine acting upon the instructions of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine) Nos. 2 and 3, heard 9-12 December 2019
- BTI 2014 LLC v Sequana SA and Ors, heard 4 May 2021.
- Bott & Co Solicitors v Ryanair DAC, heard 20 May 2021
- East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust v Flowers and Ors, heard 22 June 2021
- R (on the application of O (a minor, by her litigation friend AO)) v Secretary of State for the Home Department and R (on the application of The Project for the Registration of Children as British Citizens) v Secretary of State for the Home Department) (Expedited), heard 23 and 24 June 2021
- Basfar v Wong, heard 13th-14th October
- Secretary of State for the Home Department v SC (Jamaica), heard 19th October
- Commissioners for Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs v Coal Staff Superannuation Scheme Trustees Ltd, heard 26th October
- Harpur Trust v Brazel, heard 9th November 2021
- FirstPort Property Services Ltd v Settlers Court RTM Company and others heard 10th November 2021
- PWR (AP) v Director of Public Prosecutions and Akdogan and another (AP) v Director of Public Prosecutions heard 18th November 2021
- Craig v Her Majesty’s Advocate (for the Government of the United States of America) and another heard 25th November 2021
- Bloomberg LP v ZXC heard 30th November 2021
- Guest and another v Guest heard 3rd December 2021
- Fearn and others v Board of Trustees of the Tate Gallery heard 7th December 2021
- Public Prosecutors Office of the Athens Court of Appeal v O’Connor (Northern Ireland) heard 13th December 2021
- Croydon London Borough Council v Kalonga, heard 12th January 2022
Click here to view the original post